Go the Extra Mile: Adventure Challenge
Do you yearn to travel? Join us on a ten-day Adventure Challenge — led by our Chief Scientific Officer, Professor Fransiska Malfait — e-cycling through Cambodia and Vietnam, two very different countries yet both offering gorgeous scenery, vibrant cultures, friendly faces, and delicious cuisines. Professor Malfait is challenging all her medical colleagues to join her on this adventure e-cycling across Southeast Asia in February 2020, and all are welcome to join! We have made the trip as accessible as possible for those living with EDS & HSD (please read the FAQ). Help raise awareness by sharing with your health professionals and family members!
Few e-bike tours contain as much variety as this. Discover ancient temples, friendly villages, two rapidly modernizing cities emerging from a difficult past, and the food bowl of Vietnam: the Mekong Delta. All this and more is waiting to be explored with the help of a bicycle, your expert local guide, and a specially crafted route. Participants raise funds and share their #myEDSchallenge #myHSDchallenge story with their individual fundraising pages (create a US based page or create a UK/EU based page) and other fundraising activities. We provide tools, templates, tips and tricks to make it easy! Be sure to check out the ideas on the other challenge pages or photo gallery for FUNdraising inspiration, and remember that we are here to help!
If you wish to join this challenge you will need to sign a liability release and provide travel insurance information for any medical or other emergencies should such arise. It is recommended that you consult your physician regarding any health concerns prior to registering. There will be no medical care given on the trip other than first aid provided by the travel guides. Any health professionals taking part are in no way responsible for the health and safety of those on the trip, and cannot be consulted for medical advice at any time.
Awareness Resources and Tips
- Check out our printable EDS and HSD awareness brochures and posters, as well as digital presentations, on our Awareness Materials Page.
- Download our EDS/HSD Awareness Challenge frame <link coming> to use on your Awareness Challenge photos and share with family and friends or use the official EDS/HSD Awareness Challenge Facebook profile and photo frames <link coming>.
- When posting to social media remember to:
- Be eye-catching. “Stop the scroll” and capture attention by including interesting, high quality photos.
- Be engaging. Tell interesting, honest, heartfelt stories.
- Be credible. Share EDS/HSD info with correct terminology and facts from credible sources like our EDS/HSD information pages and Awareness Materials page.
- Be responsive. Encourage your followers and friends to ask questions on your posts, and make sure to answer as well as you can.
- Earn a limited edition T-shirt by completing 20 Daily Challenges OR by raising $40 or more on your Individual Fundraising Page—click/tap here to create a US-based fundraising page and click/tap here to create a UK/EU-based page. Then share your page with your networks using our easy email and social media templates. To claim your T-shirt, please submit this form for Daily Challenges or this form for Fundraising Challenges.
- Use our special Supporters Logo to create and share on your own awareness messages.
- Use one of the hashtags (#myEDSchallenge or #myHSDchallenge) or use this form to submit your photos to our gallery.