The Allied Health Professionals ECHO program is a free program for Allied Health Professionals from all over the world, run from three hubs in North-America, Australia, and the UK and Europe.
The program consists of six case-based interactive sessions delivered virtually via the zoom platform. We will use a regional and system approach to cover the assessment and management of the Ehlers-Danlos syndromes and hypermobility spectrum disorders and associated symptoms and conditions across the life span.
This program is suitable for Physical Therapists, Podiatrists, Clinical Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Dieticians, and Nutritionists.
Clinical experts run a program via the Zoom teleconferencing platform. Participants are able to share their cases and questions in the sessions and will be guided to further educational materials and support.
Three Steps To Join
Please note, participants are permitted to sign up and join the current program before the start of session 3, after which time applications will be closed. You may still sign up the following links to be placed on the list to request a place on our next program.
Click your region in the bullet points below.
- UK/EUROPE – this program will be led by Dr. Jane Simmonds MCSP MMACP PD, MA, BAppSc (Physio), BPE
Specialist Physiotherapist, Researcher and Principal Teaching Fellow University College London
- Australia – this program will be led by Robyn Hickmott, BAppSC (Physio), PGDip (Sports), PGCert (Cont&WH)
- Northern USA – this program will be led by Leslie Russek, PT, DPT, PhD, OCS.
Please note that we are GDPR compliant. You will be asked to include:
- The program number for the session you want to attend (see the section “When are the upcoming AHP ECHO Professionals programs?”);
- Your name, job title, work affiliation, and contact email address;
- And if joining as a group, each member’s name, job title, work affiliation, and email address.
We will reply to confirm your choices, and provide you with the Zoom login information. Submit your case study here.
We use the teleconferencing platform ZOOM.
Click on the invitation link / meeting code that we will send you.
You do not normally need to download ZOOM first. It should automatically open up on your system and go straight to the meeting.
Remember to “Allow” ZOOM access to your computer / phone audio and camera.
If you want to check ZOOM works on your system before you start AHP ECHO you can do this for free at ZOOM.us.
Please click the link of your desired hub to see the scheduled times for this program:
The program content is currently only presented in English. Each session runs for up to 90 minutes.
MODULE 1 – INTRODUCTION TO THE HYPERMOBILITY SPECTRUM DISORDERS AND EHLERS-DANLOS SYNDROMES (3 sessions)
- Diagnosis, assessment and management principles
- Pain mechanisms and non-pharmacological management
- Fatigue mechanisms and non-pharmacological management
MODULE 2 – COMORBIDITIES IN EDS AND HSD ACROSS LIFESPAN (4 sessions)
- Cardiac dysautonomia: assessment and management
- Gastrointestinal dysfunction: assessment and management
- Urogenital dysfunction: assessment and management
- Mental health: anxiety, depression, panic, ASD, and ADHD
MODULE 3 – HEAD AND NECK INJURY AND DYSFUNCTION IN EDS AND HSD (3 sessions)
- Headache and migraine
- Cervical cranial instaibility / Chiari
- TMJ, dental, and facial pain
MODULE 4 – UPPER QUADRANT INJURY AND DYSFUNCTION IN EDS AND HSD (4 sessions)
- Thoracic spine and ribs
- Cx and Pathoneurodynamics: assessment and management
- Shoulder dysfunction: assessment and management
- Elbow, wrist, and hand/writing and hand function: assessment and management
MODULE 5 – LOWER QUADRANT INJURY AND DYSFUNCTION IN EDS AND HSD (3 sessions)
- Lx, hip, and pelvis: assessment and management
- Knee: assessment and management
- Ankle and foot: assessment and management
MODULE 6 – EDS AND HSD IN PAEDIATRICS ( 3 sessions)
- Infancy and early childhood – early identification, Ax and diagnosis – co-existing conditions – developmental coordinator disorder, ASD, ADHD
- Childhood (5+): key issues, assessment, and management
- Adolescence: key issues, assessment, and management